Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Humble Pie can be thought provoking

 I did wrong.  I ate my humble pie and asked for forgiveness.

While talking to God about it before I decided to eat my humble pie...debating if and how to go about it, I asked Him:  Lord, why can I act so foolish sometimes?  Why can't my sin be celebrated?

Out of context, that sounds quite atrocious.  No, I don't want my sin celebrated, or any sin for that matter.

In our culture, this entire month has been dedicated to the celebration of a specific sin and those who do not celebrate and openly accept it are considered bigots, haters, and worse.  

So, it would be much easier to not eat my humble pie and have those I've wronged celebrate my actions and choices instead.  

Can you imagine?  "Oh, I see I did something you didn't approve of, but your approval isn't what matters, come and celebrate my sin with me!  I chose it and all that matters is that my choices don't get condemned"  ....even writing this is utterly ridiculous and I must shake my head and laugh at myself.

Why are some sins culturally acceptable and other sins not?  Culture willingly condemns the sin that hurts others.  (murder, theft, etc.)

However, sins that blatantly defy God are often celebrated.  Humanity rebels against the idea of a God that keeps us accountable to His standards. (pride, sexual immorality, lusting for the pleasures of this world, idol worship, etc.)

Jesus loved the sinner and invited them to be made new.  He invited them to leave their sin behind.  He never once affirmed the sin or celebrated it.  When we eat our humble pie and allow Him to work in our lives, we are made new.  We are made more like Him and that is a wonderful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment