Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Diets, Weightloss, and Food Intolerances!

Life is always interesting, that's for sure!  Little Mister developed an intolerance to dairy and soy proteins ...at least I hope that's all it is.  At about 3 weeks old he started having blood in his stools, just a few red spots or streaks with mucous.  As a breastfeeding momma, I'm now on a dairy free and soy free diet.

It's an interesting turn of events.  Most of my extended family on my side follows much stricter and healthier eating habits than I do.  I never thought I'd have the will power or desire to ever try...I enjoy my processed foods!  However, my son's health is an excellent motivator and I don't want to pay the high price for the specialty formulas (costing up to $400 per month according to my sister in law).

The dairy is easier to cut out than the soy, simply because nearly everything in the normal grocery stores seems to have some sort of soy in it.  Several restaurants are really good at listing which menu items have soy, but they don't include the soy oils.  I guess soy oils are not as likely to be an allergen, but they are a possible one.  I haven't completely cut them out of my diet, but I try not to eat them if possible.  The one restaurant that seems to be safe is Chipotle!  They don't use soy oils to cook with at all!  Instead of only a couple menu items that are safe to eat, there are only a couple I can't have.  That was exciting to find!

Physically, I've been losing weight quickly.  I'm sure partially because of the extreme swelling I had while pregnant.  All that swelling is gone and my middle continues to shrink.  It's like my body is reversing the weight loss of pregnancy.  I took 9 months to gain it all, and now it's coming off little by little.  I've lost over 30 pound in 3.5 weeks, but it is slowing down now.  I still have 11 pounds to go to reach my pre-pregnancy weight, and even then I was wanting to lose10-20 pounds of previous baby weight gained.  So I'm interested to see exactly how much comes off easily and what decides to stick around and make me work to get rid of it.  My new diet cuts out a lot of fat I used to eat, maybe that will help too.

I do plan on getting back into shape.  I want some tone back in my body.  I don't need to be totally fit or muscular, but I don't like the lack of strength and additional aches that come with being out of shape.  It'll be another interesting thing to see how easy/difficult those goals will be as a stay-home mom and a homeschool mom.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment