Friday, November 20, 2015

Real Faith, Real Relationship

Although "Real Faith" is a definition I am still discovering, being Real with God in my quiet time is proving more and more as a true relationship builder between us.  In my journal, I write my prayers to God.  Writing them helps keep my mind and heart focused on my prayer rather than the endless other things that easily distract me...trust me.  The easiest way to fall asleep is to begin praying silently in my head to God...if I don't fall asleep, I find myself suddenly at the end of some random bunny trail of thought wondering where my prayer went.

Even writing my prayers, it is easy to fall into doing "lip service" if my mind is distracted with other things or someone interrupting me.  It is a specific choice to purpose to be real at all times.  Sometimes that means telling God about how distracted I am.  Other times if my children interrupt, I may stop and return at a later time.  Once in a while my prayer is simply a sentence or two long because it is all that I have to offer in my tired brain.

Philippians 4 offers a great way of thinking and praying that I try to follow:

verses 6-9:  "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.  Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy -meditate on these things...and the God of peace will be with you."  NKJV

PS. "Supplication" means a Humble request.

No comments:

Post a Comment