Friday, May 22, 2020

Moments are Precious

Life is...

busy.  messy.  chaotic.  ever-changing.

fun. challenging. stressful.  crazy.

wonderful. unique. a gift.

The day is winding down and night is beginning.  The house is opened up to allow the cool evening breeze flow through.  I hear the crickets and my daughters quiet chatter as they head to bed.  The noisy chaos of the daytime has lulled into a hushed stillness.  The boys are calm and sleeping.

My thoughts wander through the day's events.  Grocery shopping with my mask and hand sanitizer.  I miss making it an outing with my children.  Trying to balance playtime with my sons and still accomplishing some laundry.  I've been trying to prepare for moving our boys into the same room together as I work.  Cooking supper with a daughter as my sous chef.  My distracted brain resulted in a tasty dinner, but not the one I originally planned to make.  Enjoying a new movie with my girls for our weekly 'girls night'.

I look around and see a lone, empty hamper in the middle of my living room.  It is surrounded by haphazardly strewn about baby toys.  In one corner of the room is a pile of hangers, so quickly pulled down off a stool from where I had been working on folding laundry by my littlest.

Three kiddos was busy.  Four is distractedly so.  In part due to their ages, but I often wonder how I ever accomplish anything.  With all the busyness of the day, the important things cannot be seen, only remembered.

A soft touch from my hubby.  Smiles brought on by watching my youngest walk from one end of the kitchen to the other while shaking maracas in both hands.  He really had to use his balance carefully not to fall down!  Giggles and glee from my older son learning to wash his hair under the shower stream at bath time.  My younger daughter snuggling close during the movie and leaning in during a cliffhanger scene.  My oldest pondering life and asking which of her drawings I like best.  Text conversations with my family.  Life is made full with such things.  None of the tasks or accompishments I work towards fulfill life in the same way as time spent with those I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment