Thursday, May 31, 2012

Perspective

My children and I went on our first 'playdate' today.  It was my first time getting together with another mom...anyone for that matter that wasn't related to me or a co-worker.  Yes, I'm an introvert.  Couldn't you tell by now? :)

We're just getting to know each other, chit-chatting about different aspects of our lives.  It was a big deal to her that our family went through cancer last year.  I guess we have been through one of life's bigger dramatic scenarios.  I don't think we see it that way though.  Cancer happened, it was part of our lives for a while and now it's part of our story.  It doesn't stick out more than other more normal parts of life.  I still see my faith, family moments, marriage and birth of my children as bigger moments.  I guess cancer ranks up there like stories of war-wounds like broken bones or getting stitches.  Her reaction was probably one that I would have had also if I were her.  Surviving cancer isn't something many people at our stage of life seem to have to face.  It happened, we did what was necessary to survive, and somehow by the grace of God we have made it through to the other side.

For me, the biggest part of living through cancer was the growth in faith that I experienced.  The rest was part of the journey.  Most of it not fun and a lot of it still brings sadness and heartache to think about.  No one at work talks about my husband's cancer, no one asks me questions unless to ask how my husband is doing.  It's kind of difficult to go back and revisit that year of life, yet I enjoy sharing because I feel like God has many teachable moments from that experience...but I haven't shared in a long time.  I don't like to bring it up and make conversations about me.  I want it to be a person's natural curiosity or desire to know and I want my answers to point them to Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment