Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Health Updates, Food Updates, Etc.

Life continues to go on taking us along for the ride!  My hubby has developed an allergic reaction to something, we believe it to be related to his arthritis somehow, but it also interferes with his current method of hormone replacement therapy (HRT) so it gets muddled into a complicated mess.  Finding the source is not as easy as I would hope.  It could be a reaction to his biologic arthritis medication.  It could be that along with the added increase of histamine in his system too since he has had to stop his HRT until we hear from the doctor...his appointment is next month...reminding myself to be patient!  It could also be just an arthritic complication of his disease -it's a progressive disease and compared to others with this disease he has been doing quite well before this happened.

I'm finding that our son still has some of the sensitivities he had as an infant.  He can tolerate more of the offensive foods before reactions appear, not sure if that is progress or just that he is bigger now.  Raisins were the most recent.  He absolutely loves them and begs for them.  He eats them by the fistful, literally grabbing as many as he can possibly manage and stuffs them into his face!  Unfortunately, they are causing a minor rash similar to the one he had from the chicory root milk.  He was eating organic raisins, so I'm going to try another brand to see if it makes a difference before giving up on raisins all together.

Chocolate is another food that he can tolerate in small amounts, but it is easier to avoid.  It is a food that I have had trouble with when I over indulge or if my system is already struggling.  Big bummer because I love chocolate!  I am noticing that wheat and dairy still bother me when not eaten in moderation.  I find it is easier to avoid those ingredients and indulge only at special times -in small amounts.

Finding a nutritional meal plan that meets our needs is challenging.  There is so much conflicting information out there.  I've basically resolved to focusing on a real food diet with less processed foods and less grain products..  I buy organic for the "dirty dozen" and focus on making the best choices in other foods as my budget allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment