Sunday, May 15, 2022

Anxiety

At our daughter's request and suggestion of her therapist, we have completed a second-opinion neurological assessment.

She definitely has symptoms of ADHD, but fell short of having enough symptoms for a diagnosis.  Neither did she qualify for an ASD diagnosis, in fact that was a much lower score.  Rather, she received a confirmed diagnosis of General Anxiety Disorder along with minor Social Anxiety and borderline Depression (which often goes hand-in-hand with anxiety).  Her ADHD symptoms are a direct result of the anxiety she battles.

I appreciated the approach of the psychologist who did the second-opinion.  She was incredibly thorough.  The amount of testing and paperwork we completed was much more than her first assessment.  Her explanation of how she came to her conclusions and why made sense.  My only pause, is knowledge that this was an assessment completed by someone who doesn't know Christ.  I don't doubt her conclusions, but my hubby and I will prayerfully move forward in how we approach dealing with anxiety.  

While it is her diagnosis and something she will live with, it also affects our family and how we will do life together.  My first response is to research for myself to understand her better and understand anxiety better.  Secondly, I am spending time learning from her what her anxiety is like for her and how it affects her choices and her behavior.  We are learning much.

I joined some groups about parenting children with anxiety, and the stories I read there are so much more severe than ours.  Those parents and children are living a heart-breaking reality.  It is apparent to me that a faith in Christ and having the Holy Spirit actively involved makes a huge difference.  I pray for wisdom and guidance as we learn how to help her best.

No comments:

Post a Comment