Monday, November 7, 2011

My Views on Halloween

As my relationship with God grows and I spend more time getting to know who He is, I love Him more and more. I find that He has called me as His child and a follower of His Son, Jesus Christ to live a holy life to the best of my ability. I find that the more love and respect I have for the Lord, the less tolerance I have for things that are surrounded in sin and stem from sin. Such as, cursing, the occult, dirty jokes, etc. Christians are far from perfect and even within Christianity, many do not agree on exactly how to live as Christians. That is a path of life that each of us must determine in our own walk with God. "You who love the Lord, hate evil..." Psalm 97:10 HCSB

1. Aspects of Halloween do not honor God.
Aside from most of its origins stemming from occultic practices, as believers in Christ Jesus and the absolute truth of the Holy Bible, we are called to "Stay away from every kind of evil." 1 Thessalonians 5:22 HCSB.

God has decreed that the demonic/occultic practices are detestable to Him. Even in the form of pretend, I cannot see that dressing up, pretending to be anything unholy, or participating in activities that play with occultic beliefs would be found as pleasing to the Lord. "No one among you is to make his son or daughter pass through the fire [human sacrifice], practive divination, tell fortunes, interpret omens, practice sorcery, cast spells, consult a medium or a familiar spirit, or inquire of the dead. Everyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord..." Deuteronomy 18:10-12 HCSB

Galations 5 (HCSB)
Verse 13 "For you were called to be free, brothers; only don't use this freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but serve one another through love."
Verse 16 "I say then, walk by the [Holy] Spirit and you will not carry out the desires of the flesh. For the flesh desires what is against the Spirit, and the Spirit desires what is against the flesh"
Verse 19-21 "Now the works of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, moral impurity, promiscuity, idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambitions, dissensions, factions, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and anything similar."

2. Spiritual Warfare is REAL. "Put on the full armor of God so that you can stand against the tactics of the Devil. For our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the world pwoers of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavens." Ephesians 6:11-12 HCSB

Satan is the great deceiver and will use any means necessary to gain access into your life and weave lies and confusion about the truth of the gospel of Christ. Even participating in simple fun on Halloween has the potential to expose you to be influences of Satan and his demons. I choose to be more cautious and avoid the temptation and the lure of evil things. Halloween is a night where people who practice Satanism and other occultic rituals do so in great numbers. I don't know if this night contains more demonic activity than any other night, but it is a night where such things are culturally accepted and played with in the name of "fun". I choose to protect myself and my family as best I can by avoiding these things.

3. That being said, there are many different ways Christians choose to treat Halloween. Many think it is an innocent night of fun, costumes and candy. Some participate in church alternatives parties. Some pass out candy and Christian tracts. Others completely ignore it.

I fall into the the group that believes that we must teach our children the spiritual dangers of Spiritual Warfare, caution for occultic practices, and how we can be a light for Christ to those around us. Children need to be sheltered and taught in a safe environment. This year we participated in our church festival. I also would not be opposed to passing out tracts with candy to share the love of Christ with those who do not know Him. This is my belief in how I feel God would have me raise my children and live my faith concerning Halloween. Each Christian must make their own choice following with how they feel God has called them to act. I encourage you to look at www.gotquestions.org and type in the question: should Christians celebrate Halloween? It provides more scriptural references.

"Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable -if there is any moral excellence and if there is any praise -dwell on these things." Philippians 4:8 HCSB

No comments:

Post a Comment