Thursday, November 3, 2011

Two-thirds of the way!

Next week is the last full week of chemo, God willing!  We're waiting to hear back from his latest Pulmonary Function test, but the lady who gave the test said he was still in acceptable range.  We'll see what the doc says.  FYI - if the test result caused concern for my husband's health, it would result in the elimination of one chemo drug and add one more full week of treatment.

My hubby continues to constantly feel "crummy" and battles nausea, but he is generally in good spirits and hasn't had to use all the medications he has at his disposal.  Our family has been blessed to avoid illness thus far (PRAISE GOD!) and we're surviving.

The past two weeks have been less stressful, but each with their own challenges.  Our youngest has regressed farther with her toileting issues and her behavior has been off.  Nothing specific, but I can tell she's hurting and perhaps a little lost.  It is hard to know the proper way to respond to her misbehavior.  Sometimes I can tell if it is because she needs extra love and attention or if it is just normal misbehavior.  Other times I really struggle with knowing how best to respond.  She's too young to communicate what is going on inside, so I try to make an effort to help her know she is loved and appreciated.

The mom-guilt piles up quite easily right now.  In everything we're going through, I don't want my actions to hurt more than help.  I pray a lot about that and God has brought many good ideas to my attention.  Making at least a mental to-do list for home has greatly helped.  I prioritize the things I want to accomplish with a realistic view of how much energy I have and what I am likely to be able to accomplish.  I rarely play computer games any more.  There are just more important things to be done.  When I can't just relax and play with my children, I include them in the tasks I am doing.  They help me and I teach them.  We're interacting together and that is still quality time.  My mother-in-law's trick of 15 minutes playtime and 15 minutes work time helps me too.  I have high hopes that next week's full treatment schedule will be better than the first two.  Only God knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment