Friday, March 8, 2019

Struggles with Faith

Someday I will learn how to appropriately respond when it comes to my passion in my faith.  Particularly the differences with my own personal faith and the Catholic faith as of late.  I shared some of my feelings on it and am wishing I would have kept my mouth shut or a bit more censored...I don't want to create animosity within the body of Christ or make others stumble because of my own personal convictions.  It's hard when I haven't completely reconciled all my feelings about it in my own mind.

My one big disclaimer is that I know true heart-felt, devoted believers who are Catholic, as well as many who are not.  If you choose to participate in the Christian faith as a Catholic, I have no problem with your choice as an adult.

I have had problems attending mass myself and also watching some of my own family members raised in the Catholic church where there is so much difference and sometimes what feels like misleading information represented.  I am quite thankful that my nieces have finally finished the Catholic rituals that require my attendance as a loving aunt.  It was very difficult to sit quietly and participate in some of the rituals and traditions as a supporting family member.

A few years ago, I was able to connect with an acquaintance from high school on Facebook who is Catholic and ask her why they believed what they believed about infant baptism.  Before that, no one was interested in explaining to me why some of their traditions and rituals were different than the protestant ones I grew up with.  Basically, it comes down to theology differences and the passing down of beliefs from priests and Catholic scholars of old.

One single bible verse was referenced in a 15-minute long youtube explanation of the Catholic belief.  The priest explained the interpretation from one of their earliest scholars and how the entire ritual and belief that baptism saves babies was based on it.  No other bible verses were used as a reference or support for the given interpretation.  I have always been taught that Scripture Interprets Scripture.  To hear and see that an entire tradition and belief was based on one single verse and interpretation of that verse simply because the man who made the interpretation was a respected clergy member, made me realize that our foundational systems were quite different.

After that I stopped asking her questions (she was hoping I might convert), and let her know that I appreciated all her candid answers in helping me to understand some of the differences in our two Christian faiths, but that with differing interpretations of the bible, I didn't think it was wise to continue to debate our differences.  The important thing remains our shared faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

That is one point a pastor made long ago that I really respected.  Doctrinal differences will be solved in Heaven.  As long as our foundation of salvation is belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, the rest -while important- is not a determining factor for salvation.  Arguing faith doesn't often result in non-believers coming to know Christ personally.  Sharing your faith and personal testimony does.

No comments:

Post a Comment