Friday, January 6, 2012

Trusting God

I have noticed a strange phenomenon recently of people getting offended with the encouragement to "trust God".  It isn't a cliche, although sometimes it is used that way.

They seem to think that to trust in the Lord means they are not allowed to feel.  The two ideas don't mix.  God created emotions.  It is healthy to fear, have concerns, hurt, etc.  In the beginning of this cancer journey, before I chose to fully trust God, I experienced all those emotions.  They consumed me and I was unable to function as a wife, as a mother, and especially at work.  That's not God's plan for anyone.

After I decided to trust God, to believe that His promises were true that "in all things, God works for the good of those who love Him." (Romans 8:28), I was able to function.  He filled me with a peace that didn't make sense.  The only way to explain it is that it was a supernatural peace.  I had no logical reason to have any peace, but it was there.

Did I still fear?  Yes.
Was I still concerned?  Yes.
Did I still hurt?  Yes.
Did I still cry?  Yes.

The change was that those things did not consume me.  By the grace of God I was able to be the wife my husband needed.  I was able to be the mother my children needed.  I was able to be productive at work.  Yes, there were times that I lost sight of my trust in God and it became overwhelming again.  But all I had to do was look back at what He had already done, what He promised in His Word, trust Him once more and He would fill me with that perfect, unexplainable peace.  He has repeatedly done this for me, and He is waiting to do the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment