Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Cancer update

Good evening, ya'll!  Sorry...a little bit of dork snuck in there.  I just realized that I don't think I ever posted on the results of the CT scan back in December.  Here's a quick recap:  the scan showed "significantly decreased lymph nodes".  Which means the chemo did its job.  Hurray!  The next CT scan is in June.  The doctor said most symptoms should be resolved in 3-4 months.  Unfortunately, that may not include the nerve damage in his feet.  The nerve damage could be permanent.  My hubby says that he feels as if he is walking on rocks all day and by the end of the day his feet are swollen and in a lot of pain.  When we saw the doctor in January for his lung test (back up to 75%!), they offered compression socks and/or a prescription medication that changes how your nerves perceive pain.  He tried the socks first, they helped with the swelling, but not much with the pain.  Then he tried the medication and that was making a big difference until he developed an allergic reaction to it.  So, we're back at square one.

I'm praying for complete healing.  The doctor is not convinced that the reaction is due to the medication, and we may try it one more time once the reaction goes away.  If it doesn't go away, he'll have to see a dermatologist.  Medically, we still have issues to deal with.  As a family, it feels whole again.  Our roles have changed a bit and I've been doing most of the housework and cooking, but I have my husband back and my children have a daddy who is involved and mostly healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment