Friday, June 24, 2011

Serving Humbly

Writing about this doesn't feel humble, but it was such an awesome experience, I can't keep it inside.   God was so present and He was so awesome.  Yesterday afternoon I was asked to give devotions for our staff meeting.  We discussed whether I should give the devotion or another one of my godly coworkers.  Both of us felt like I was the one who should do it.  We prayed about it and asked for God's will...but it just felt certain in my mind that I was supposed to speak.  After accepting that God wanted me to bring a devotion, at first I got panicky...just a little bit.  What in the world was I supposed to speak about?

I prayed.  I was thinking that I wanted to somehow talk to my friends and coworkers about finding the way back to God, how to spend time with Him...how to really know Him and not just go through the motions.  But it also had to relate to childcare and the job we have in reaching them on a spiritual level and not just the academics or physical care.  How was I to do that?  What did God want me to say?  What verses should I bring?

I typed up some verses not knowing if I should use any of them at all.  I went home and found water everywhere in my fridge...the freezer had been clogged for a while and I didn't realize it had dripped water on every shelf and in every drawer.  I spent my night busy with my family and cleaning out my fridge.  Then after the kids were in bed I spent some time with my husband.  As I got ready for bed I ready a few chapters of Psalms and prayed that God would just tell me what He wanted me to say.  Then remembering the power of prayer that got me through the cancer and I sent off emails and requests to KLOVE radio, my family and friends on facebook.  In the morning I got ready and as I did, I remembered the church from my past blog and suddenly I knew exactly what to talk about.

I prayed throughout the morning and God showed up.  He allowed me to be a part of something so wonderful.  I was nervous, but so compelled to share.  I can't remember the exact words I said, I know what I talked about and I didn't care how I appeared...I just knew this was what I was called to do.  After I spoke, several ladies spoke up and also shared what they'd been struggling with.  We had an awesome time in prayer, praying for each other.  I can't even count how many "thank you's" and comments people shared with me afterwards.

I don't feel like I deserve the thanks.  I don't feel undeserving...it's kind of odd.  I feel like I am the recipient taking memos for God when I'm told how my devotions touched their lives.  It was Him.  All Him.  I have no power to reach their hearts and effect change.  The Holy Spirit was at work today and I was just blessed to be a part of it.  All those who were praying were also part of it and had a huge impact.  Despite the things Satan attempted to throw in God's way, the power of prayer and obedience overcame and Christ reigned supreme today.  The Glory belongs to the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment