Monday, March 14, 2011

The BIG day

The day of surgery came.  I went to work for a short while to finish what I needed to get done.  I picked up my children from school early and as a special treat we went to a play place for lunch.  They had a great time.  Afterward I took them home for an early nap and spent some quality time with my husband before it was time to go to the hospital.

I didn't know what to expect, this was my first surgery experience ever.  The children knew that daddy had a doctor appointment.  Our oldest knew that he was going to get a shot (the worst thing that could happen in her mind).  They gave him a special stuffed animal that sang our one of our special family songs.  They were ready for him an hour earlier than expected.  It was hard to say goodbye to the children so unexpectedly, but the help of our family members soothed the children and took them for the rest of the night.  The kids had a great time with their extended family and I am so grateful to have had family in town to help us.

I went back to the prep area with him and we signed forms and got more information on what to expect.  I think we prayed and talked and had some good moments until it was time to let go.  Saying our goodbyes I couldn't help but cry.  I wasn't afraid, but it hurt to let go and not be there for him.  I was thankful that I had family members waiting for me to keep me busy and involved.  We actually had a good time.  Earlier in the day I had requested prayer from many different prayer warriors and I was not emotional at all.  I candidly talked about how God was working in my life and providing for all my needs so that I wasn't an emotional wreck.  We shared about how we each dealt with the news and tried to support my husband.  I shared some verses and tidbits and I hope that seeds were planted in good soil that day.  After the surgery the surgeon came to me and said he had stopped by pathology quickly and the thought was that the tumor was cancer, but a slow moving cancer and the tumor was a small one.  I knew exactly what he was talking about and I was able to explain my research to my family.

It took longer than expected for the recovery and we didn't leave the hospital until late in the evening.  My loving family stayed with me and helped me get home with my husband until we were all set.  God provided and gave us wonderful support through our extended family and the body of Christ who were praying for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment