Saturday, March 26, 2011

Hospital stay

The day of surgery was a good day. The children stayed with us at the waiting area for the morning. We passed the afternoon playing cards and chatting after family took the children home for nap.

Recovery went better than the first surgery and it was relieving to know we would be staying at the hospital. Our first night was filled with interruptions and pain management. I brought the flat pillow from home and my neck paid the price.

The first day after was a day I had no preparation for because I'd never had a similar experience to go from. We had planned for my husband to be out of bed and I would go visit the children in the afternoon. The nurse was very slow in getting medication to us and he was unable to sit up, let alone get out of bed. I got stressed because I didn't know what delays were acceptable or not. My children were expecting me, but there was no way I could go.

I called the nurse and my frustration showed. She came quickly and finally delivered the long awaited meds. Unfortunately the pill made him sick...perhaps a blessing in disguise. In order to clean the bed he had to muster up the courage and get out of bed. He showed great improvement after emptying the left over gunk from surgery out of his belly.
Our family was understanding and came to visit us. The children were happy and carefree. Then I was able to relax and I knew God had been working the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment